Saitta Scores Game-Winner in Overtime; Lasers Down Plymouth State 12-11

Saitta Scores Game-Winner in Overtime; Lasers Down Plymouth State 12-11
NEWTON, Mass. (3/8/17) – Senior captain Anthony Saitta (Derry, N.H.) shut down all chances of a second overtime period, scoring his fifth goal of the season and first game winner to lift the Lasell men's lacrosse team over Plymouth State, 12-11, Wednesday afternoon at Grellier Field.

The Lasers earn their first win of the season at 1-2, while the Panthers suffer their second straight loss at 0-2.

With 1:26 left in regulation, sophomore Ryan Madden (Hingham, Mass.) found the back of the net to complete his first '17 hat trick, and forced the non-conference tilt into the overtime segment.

Madden's three goals was a team-best in the high scoring affair, while Austin Shindoll (Denver, Col.) and Austin Tomasetti (Elmsford, N.Y.) finished with two scores apiece. Matt White (Falmouth, Mass.), Alex McCormack-Kuhman (Wells, Maine), Connor Johnson (Hampstead, N.H.), and Michael Susi (Gorham, Maine) accounted for the remainder of Lasell's offense.

Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) and Colin Clafin (Pembroke, Mass.) were the two lone Panthers to score 2+ goals, with Sorrentino adding a hat trick in the effort.

Neither team broke a two-goal lead margin throughout the contest, as Susi and Tomasetti started things off with a pair of unassisted goals to open up. The Panthers, however, fired off three straight shots to the twine from Sorrentino, Clafin, and Pete Allen (Newbury, N.H.) to end the first quarter tied at 3-3.

The score would deadlock twice more at 4-4 and 6-6, before the Lasers scored the next three of four goals to seize a 9-7 advantage at the end of the third period. Jorge Salazar (Waltham, Mass.) kept the Panthers at bay with 10 saves in the frame, while Madden, Shindoll, Johnson, and Tomasetti were Lasell's enforcers throughout the stretch.

The hosts' lead wouldn't last long, as the Panthers doubled Lasell's fourth period scoring (4-2), with Mac Tetrault (New Durham, N.H.) scoring the temporary go-ahead. Madden forced extra time with 1:26 to go, and nearly closed the door for Lasell with :52 left, but Plymouth freshman keeper Charlie Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) came up with the shot, as both teams headed into OT.

Plymouth State earned the opening faceoff, but quickly turned the ball over on a bad pass from Sorrentino. Harrington again stopped Madden's shot to frame, but he, too, would turn the ball over once more to keep possession in favor of the Lasers. Harrington recorded his second and final save of the overtime period on a shot from McCormack-Kuhman, before Saitta register the game winner.

Salazar's career-high 22 saves earned him his first win of the season in net (1-2), while Harrington drops to 0-1 on 14 saves.

Both teams are away on Saturday, March 11 for their next contest. The Lasers head to Kean University for a 4:00 faceoff, while Plymouth State heads to familiar GNAC foe Norwich University at 1:00 p.m.