NEWTON, Mass. (1/5/16) – The visiting Bobcats of Bates College defeated the Lasell women's basketball team 76-47 in non-conference action on Tuesday night in the Athletic Center. The loss snaps the Lasers' four-game winning streak, as they fall to 7-5 overall while the Bobcats climb to 3-7.
STAT LEADERS FOR LASELL
- Senior guard Katie Stopera (Hollis, N.H.) came up just short of a double-double with 14 points and nine rebounds, while freshman Jaime Caron (Derry, N.H.) registered 11 points.
STAT LEADERS FOR BATES
- In a balanced offense, sophomore forward Nina Davenport (Freeport, Maine) unleashed for a game-high 22 points. Davenport went 9-for-18 from the floor to go along with 4-for-9 shooting from downtown.
- Two additional starters scored in double digits, highlighted by junior forward Allie Coppola's (Tarrytown, N.Y.) double-double of 11 points and 16 rebounds. Senior guard Chelsea Nason (Boxford, Mass.) rounded out double digit scoring with 15 points, 12 points coming from behind the arc.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bates led from start to finish and opened the contest with an 11-0 tear, highlighted by three consecutive shots from three-point range. After 45.5% shooting from downtown, Bates ended the first half outscoring Lasell 41-21.
- The Bobcats continued its strong scoring presence in the second half with 35 points, taking its largest lead with 2:08 left in regulation after Nason sunk two shots at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Bates dominated the court with 46.4% shooting from three-point range to go along with 34.7% from the floor. The Lasers held a slim advantage in percentage on free throws 88.9% to 73.% percent, knocking down 8-of-9 total.
- The visitors capitalized on the home team's turnovers, scoring 25 points on the transition with 16 points from second chance opportunities.
- The Lasers will return to the Athletic Center on Saturday, January 9 to open GNAC play with Emmanuel College at 1:00 p.m. while Bates begins a three-game road test on Friday, January 8 at Colby College.