Lasell Men’s Soccer upended by Suffolk

Lasell Men’s Soccer upended by Suffolk

EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk University men's soccer team scored all three of its goals over a 2:41 minute span in the first frame and never reliniquished the lead to take down Lasell College, 3-1, Saturday afternoon at James A. Sartori Stadium at East Boston Memorial Park.

Suffolk recorded its first win of the season, moving to 1-4-0 overall and 1-1-0 in the GNAC, while Lasell drops to 1-2-1 and 0-0-1.

The first tally of the day came in the 14th minute as Leonardo Acosta out jumped a Lasell player to head a Lasers' goal kick back into the visitors' zone where James Fisher beat out the defender for an easy one-on-one with the keeper. The junior had an easy touch finish to the lower right to start the scoring rally.

Fisher stretched Suffolk's edge to two 2:06 later with his second goal of the afternoon. Off another header from Acosta, Fisher picked up the rock at the 40-yard line, dribbled down the right side and this time slipped the ball past the keeper on the left to turn it into a 2-0 Rams' game.

Sal Perrotto completed the scoring frenzy with his first of the season. Lasell keeper Jackson Burhans (Berlin, N.Y.) booted it in an attempt to clear the zone, but his kick landed right in front of Perrotto. Suffolk's sophomore took advantage and fired right back at Lasell's keeper from the 25-yard line, ripping a high kick into the upper left to add to Suffolk's lead.

Lasell came out of the locker firing on all cylinders in an attempt to comeback. Senior Connor Wall (East Hampton, Conn.) added fuel to the fire 14 minutes into the second stanza as he headed a free kick from sophomore Zach Ramsey (Cranston, R.I.) just over the gloves of Tom Bennett to cut the Rams' lead to two with under 30 minutes left on the clock in regulation.

The Lasers had another heading chance just a minute later. This time Ramsey powered a corner kick into the crowd in front of Bennett. Freshman Trent Barker (St. Johnsville, N.Y.) connected on the pass, but hit just high as the score held at 3-1 Suffolk.

With two league points on the line and time dwindling, Lasell kept up the pressure on the Rams. Suffolk maintained the distance down the stretch though despite back-and-forth chippy action to hold on for the 3-1 conference victory.

Lasell returns home for a GNAC make-up match against Johnson & Wales University Monday at Taylor Field at 4:00 p.m.

(Courtesy of Suffolk Athletic Communications)

-- 30 --