Petrin's Late Goal Advances Lasers to Semi-Finals

Petrin's Late Goal Advances Lasers to Semi-Finals

NEWTON, MA- Stephen Petrin (Vernon, CT) broke a 1-1 tie with five minutes left in regulation to give the top seeded Lasell College men's soccer team a 2-1 win over the eighth seed Johnson & Wales University in the quarter finals of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Tournament today on Taylor Field. The victory moves the Lasers (9-7-2) onto the semi-finals which will take place on Tuesday, while the Wildcats complete their season with a 4-12-2 overall record.


The Lasers came from behind to keep their GNAC Championship hopes afloat after Johnson & Wales took the lead in the eighth minute, prior to Lasell getting any shots off.  Eric Delgado (Pawtucket, RI) sent a flawless cross from the right field to Tyler Gates (Peru, ME) who put the Wildcats up 1-0 by heading in the go-ahead goal.  


Lasell proceeded to take seven of the next 10 shots in the contest which eventually led to the game-tying mark.   In the 37th minute, Cedric Dybaud (Quincy, MA) fed Dan Hatch (Avon, MA) with a textbook pass down the center of the field which Hatch converted by chipping the high shot just out of reach of Wildcat goalie Joe Ferraro (Freehold, NJ).  The one-all standstill would endure through the final minutes of the half.


Lasell produced a small advantage in shots in the period (10-7) and also recorded two corner kicks while the visitors had none.  


The second half was similar, with the hosts edging the visitors slightly in shots, 11-8.  Lasell put together a string of golden opportunities in a three minute span between the 59th and 62nd minute.  James Clancey (Chicopee, MA) began the streak shaping a long shot from 25 yards out that just barely sailed wide of the Wildcats net. Dybaud and Hatch then took turns on breakaway chances but Ferraro knocked aside Hatch's challenge and the post hindered Dybaud's attempt. 


The visitors turned the table to take a run of their own which was capped with a bullet shot from the top of the eighteen by Stefano Magro (Frankfort, NY).  Lasell's goal keeper Matthew Bruninghaus (Plymouth, MA) was up to the task, sprawling to redirect the shot.


With time winding down, Lasell's Jared Lewis (Haverhill, MA) took possession of the ball and forwarded a pass to Petrin on the end line.  The senior took a quick dribble and slipped the game-deciding goal behind Ferraro to score his first of the season.


Bruninghaus collected four saves in the triumph while Ferrero made five stops in the losing effort.


Lasell will face the winner of the #5 Emerson vs. #4 Suffolk quarter final match which is scheduled to begin today, at 5:30 p.m. The semi-final contest will take place on Lasell's Taylor Field on Tuesday, November 2nd at 2:30 p.m.