Lasers Engrave 2-1 Victory over GNAC Rival Mount Ida

Lasers Engrave 2-1 Victory over GNAC Rival Mount Ida
Newton, MA-- After a scoreless 73 minutes, the Lasell College men's soccer team tallied two consecutive goals to top Mount Ida College, 2-1, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on Taylor Field, Saturday afternoon. Dan Hatch (Avon, MA) locked in the game-winner with less than 12 minutes remaining in regulation.  The Lasers even their overall record to 2-2 while the Mustangs drop to 0-4 on the season. 

The hosts produced a significant advantage in shots and corner kicks throughout the match.  Lasell took 27 total shot to Mount Ida's eight, and were awarded six corners to the visitors one. 

Throughout the first half, Mount Ida was given a single shot attempt on goal which was a long shot from the right flank, taken just inside the penalty box by Breandan Draper (Lexington, KY).  The shot was redirected over the net by Lasell's goalkeeper Matthew Bruninghaus (Plymouth, MA).

Lasell was not without opportunities in the half, however they were unable to capitalize on the chances.  In the 23rd minute, Lasell produced a breakaway play which resulted in Marcus Lopez (Barrigada, Guam) near-make that skimmed the top of Ida's crossbar.  Shortly afterward, Kyle Cronin (Weymouth, MA) sent a missile at the Mustangs goal, which also just cleared the roof of the net. 

Lasell had another close call, at 51:24 in the second half, when Hatch  received a cross from Nery Guerra (Guatemala) which sliced the outside edge of the Mustangs net.  

In the 73rd minute, Cronin unleashed a shot through a herd of Mustangs which was barely knocked away by goalkeeper Steve Enright (South Kingston, RI).  Lopez settled the rebound and crossed the ball to Guerra in a scrum of players directly in front of the Mustang net.  Guerra quickly knocked the ball into the near corner for Lasell's 1-0 advantage. 

Five minutes later, Hatch received a leading pass from Lopez down the middle of the field, took few steps and released a bomb that to put Lasell on top by two. 

With less than ten minutes on the clock, Mount got on the board when Justin Murphy (Holbrook, MA) sent a long pass down the center of the field to Steve MacDonald (Medford, MA) who headed the ball into Lasell's goal.  However, the damage had been done and the Lasers came away with the 2-1 victory. 

Bruninghaus made three saves in the GNAC triumph while Enright turned away five shots on goal for the Mustangs. 

Lasell's next game is a non-conference matchup at Lyndon State on Wednesday, September 15th, at 4:00 p.m.