Late Comeback Leaves Men’s Soccer in 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

Late Comeback Leaves Men’s Soccer in 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

Newton, Mass.- The Bridgewater State College Bears came back late in the second period to seal a 1-1 double overtime tie with the Lasell College Lasers in non-conference men's soccer action today, on Taylor Field. 


The Lasers scored early and held that edge for over 75 minutes before the Bears answered.  It was just two minutes and 23 seconds into the contest when Shane Vinnicombe (Pomfret Center, Conn.) fired a corner kick into prime position in front of the Bears net.  Tholemson Francois (Stoneham, Mass.) used his head to pass off to the foot of Mike Skelton (Conway, NH) at the top of the eighteen who drilled the move-ahead goal.


Bridgewater found eight chances in the half, including a narrowly missed attack by Luke Brewer (Edgartown, Mass.) in a breakaway that slipped just shy of the post, but were unable to close the gap before the break.


With just 9:19 left in regulation, Jose DePina (Boston, Mass.) carried the ball into the corner and sent a cross to Brewer in the penalty box. Brewer crushed the ball into the Lasers net for the tie. 


In the extra sessions, the Bears had two extremely close calls for which the Lasers' defense was pivotal in refuting.  At 97:29, Jon Sampson (Plympton, Mass.) shot on an open Lasell net which Robby Gonzalez (Palmdale, CA) was instrumental in denying with a block.  In the minute that followed, Brewer stepped up to the challenge once again, but it was Brandon Hanss (Halifax, Mass.) that rejected the Bears' chance.  Sean Fisher (Griswold, Conn.) and Paul Meucci (Vernon, Conn.) also each had fine individual performances in the contest, clearing the Lasers back field of Bridgewater opposition throughout the match.


At the conclusion of the 110 minutes neither team had claimed the win.  Bridgewater held the advantage of 29-17 in total shots over Lasell, and also took seven corners to the Lasers six. 


Ryan Seifert (Ludlow, Mass.) picked up six saves in the Bears goal, while Matthew Bruninghaus (Plymouth, Mass.) collected four for Lasell.


Lasell will travel to neighboring rivals Mount Ida College on Sunday, October 4th for their next GNAC competition.  The game is set to start at noon.