NEWTON, Mass. (1/9/16) – Lasell College extended its Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) undefeated streak with a 99-94 victory over Anna Maria on Saturday afternoon inside the Athletic Center Gym. With the win, the Lasers hold an 8-4 overall record to go along with a 5-0 GNAC outing, while the AMCATS drop to 7-6 overall and 3-3 in conference play.
STAT LEADERS FOR LASELL
- Three Lasers scored in double digits in the effort as junior guard Armin Omanovic (Wilkesboro,N.C.) led the charge with a game-high 30 points, highlighted by 17-of-20 shots from the free throw line.
- Sophomore guard Scott Arsenault (Walpole, Mass.) followed with 22 points, 18 from three-point range, while senior guard Richard O'Brien (Manchester, N.H.) rounded out double-digit scoring with 21 points.
STAT LEADERS FOR ANNA MARIA
- Senior guard Patrick Bradanese (Billerica, Mass.) paved the way for the visitors, posting a team-high 23 points with nine helpers in the effort.
- Senior forward Kyle McKissick (Charlton, Mass.) followed Brandanese with 18 points and five caroms, while Senior guard Tyler Delorey (Worcester, Mass.) added 16 points. Junior guard David Jean-Louis (Miramar, Fla.) and Corey Pryor (Northbridge, Mass.) each chipped in 12 points to round out double figure scoring for the visitors.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opening minutes of the contest, Anna Maria established an early offensive presence, sinking back-to-back three pointers for an early 6-0 lead. Lasell sophomore guard Derek McMahon (Hatfield, Mass.) banked a three putting the Lasell on top 27-26 at 9:11 and held the AMCATS at bay until the halftime break at 52-46.
- Both teams continued to alter back and forth in the second half, until junior forward Yordan Villalon (Miami, Fla.) sunk a crucial shot from behind the arc giving Lasell its largest lead of the game of 10 points, 80-70. With a montage of points from Omanovic and Arsenault in the final 1:33 in the game, the Lasers came out on top for an eventual victory of 99-94.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Anna Maria shot 53.2% from the floor, while Lasell saw only 46.7%.
- The Lasers dominated three point territory, shooting 75.8% from behind the arc, while the AMCATS shot 69.9%., and held a 38-30 advantage on the glass.
- Both teams square off again on Wednesday, January 13 at 5:00 p.m. for another GNAC test inside the Fuller Center at Anna Maria.