NEWTON, Mass. (11/21/15) – The visiting Bison of Nichols College came back to edge the Lasers 88-75 in non-conference men's basketball action on Saturday afternoon in the Athletic Center. With the deficit, the Lasers drop to 0-3 on the year while the Bison climb to 3-1 overall.
STAT LEADERS FOR LASELL
- Junior guard Armin Omanovic (Wilkesboro, N.C.) registered 21 points, seven rebounds, and five assists, going a perfect 2-2 from beyond the arc and 5-6 at the charity stripe.
- Sophomore guard Scott Arsenault (Walpole, Mass.) dominated long-range territory on 4-for-8 shooting, scoring 19 points overall.
- Junior forward Pat Marchand (Cranston, R.I.) was just short of a double-double with nine points and 10 rebounds.
- Junior forward Yordan Villalon (Miami, Fla.) came off the bench to score 10 points with four defensive boards.
STAT LEADERS FOR NICHOLS
- Four of the Bison scored in double digits in the victory, led by freshman guard Marcos Echevarria (Lynn, Mass.) with 22 points and six boards. Echevarria went a perfect 8-for-8 at the free throw line, and 4-for-11 from downtown.
- Junior guard Irving Eggleston (East Lyme, Conn.) and junior guard Christian Horton (Rutland, Mass.) scored 20 and 18 points, respectively, while senior guard Gustave Koumare (Harlem, N.Y.) scored 10 points off the pine.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Omanovic and Arsenault made an electric opening to the contest with three consecutive shots from beyond the arc. Nichols' Devin Stallings (Waterbury, Conn.) answered the run with a three of his own to be answered by a 7-3 run from the home team. Arsenault drained a three at the 13 minute mark before Marchand grabbed a defensive rebound and put away a layup to give Lasell its largest lead of the game, 25-13. The Bison, however, adjusted to the speed of play in the Athletic Center, and cut the game 49-46 via a Horton-three at the first half buzzer.
- Momentum switched as the teams headed out of the locker room, as the Bison put up 42 points in the second compared to Lasell's 26. Eggleston put away a jumper with 18:27 on the clock to give the visitors their first lead of the game, 50-49, only to be answered by three points from Marchand.
- With 12 left to go in regulation, Echevarria made two shots from the foul line to put the Bison in turning point position, where they never trailed and took the game 88-75.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Lasers shot 51.0% from the floor, 47.1% from long range and 75.0% from the charity stripe.
- The Bison grabbed 38 points off turnovers from the Lasers, and held a 15-6 advantage in second chance points.
- Both teams return to action on Tuesday, November 24. The Lasers will head to Brandeis for a local non-conference match up at 6:00 p.m., while the Bison host Westfield State at 7:00 p.m.